CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 2, 2012

Weight Loss Wednesday Link Up

I was reading posts on No Ordinary Blog Hop and came across a post that had me thrilled, Weight Loss Wednesday Link Up hosted by Mary!!!  I am So excited to find someone that I can support and be supported as well.  

I have always been heavy, from the time I hit puberty - if not even before!  I served a mission in Fortaleza Brazil for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when I was 21 and lost about 40 pounds.  I looked good, and was at my lowest weight EVER - 180!  The day before I started college at Brigham Young University I fell down and ended up in non-weight baring casts for a year.  By the time I was walking again I had gained my weight back and it just increased.  

I succeeded on Weight Watchers and lost another 40 pounds before I got married!  My husband likes his women (me) on the larger size and I fell into a comfortable blur of wedded bliss and weight gain.  I soon ballooned to 260 pounds.  Each time I got pregnant it followed a period of weight loss (after years of infertility).  While I was pregnant I ended up with Gestational Diabetes and strictly followed the Diabetic Diet my OBGYN placed me on.  I wanted healthy babies. 

I remember being so close to under 200 pounds again after Amelia was born.  I promised myself that I would stay on the diet even though I didn't have diabetes anymore.  I lied to myself and as of right now I weigh 274 pounds.  I gasp as I write that number.  How did I get there?  It is from emotional eating, binge eating, eating at midnight because I stay up too late and get hungry.  I love the taste of food.  

BUT, I took my 2 year old to the Little Gym this week.  I was winded after running in a circle for less than five minutes.  I couldn't skip, or jump because I was just too heavy.  When I am on the floor I struggle to get up.  My doctor recently told me that my A1C had hit that critical 7 that indicates I now have type II Diabetes.  My mom has Type II Diabetes and I get angry with her for not taking care of herself.  I want her around for my children's weddings.  But what about myself?????  Don't I want to be around for my children's weddings???  I'm a hypocrite! 

I joined TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) after Christmas.  I have not done very well, but am surrounded by wonderful supportive women.  I have a new bike that my husband bought me last year.  (I've only ridden it once).  I have new tennis shoes to wear while riding my bike.  I have my meds that I have to take each morning and night (which I forget to take half the time.) 

I need to buckle down and just do it!  

So here are my goals.
  • Monday Wednesday and Fridays while Amelia is down for her nap and Scott is sleeping (gotta love those graveyard shifts) I am going to ride my bike.
  • I am going to start counting carbs again.  I am allowed 75 a day right now.
  • I am going to watch my fat intake - no more McDonald french fries for me! (Those are my weakness)
  • My mom bought me a book called Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman, MD.  I am going to start reading it.
  • A doctor once recommended The Thin Commandments :  The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss by Stephen Gullo PHd.  I am going to re-read it.
  • In my church we have what is called the Word of Wisdom  It is found in the Doctrine and Covenants Section 89 (The Doctrine and Covenants are a compilation of revelations given to prophets in the latter-days which is for the establishment and governance of the church)..  I follow the no smoking, no drinking part really seriously but I don't follow the rest.  It tells us to eat fruits and veggies and give thanks for them.  To eat meat sparingly - eat them in the winter, or during famine or excess hunger.  I want the promises that are bestowed upon those that follow these Words of Wisdom.  I want to be healthy.  I want an increase in wisdom and knowledge, most of all I want to run and not be weary, walk and not faint.
  • Make a meal plan.  I struggle with a weekly one, so I am going to take Mary's idea of planning the next days food the night before.  Maybe this will be more manageable for me.
My goal is to lose 10%s of my weight each quarter of the year.  So if I break it down it will look like this:
247 by June 1st That breaks down to 2 pounds a week
222 by September 1st Also breaks down to 2 pounds a week
200 by December 1st About 1 and a half pounds per week
180 by March 1st One pound a week

This post is linked up to Winecup Christian Academy
Weight Loss Wednesday Link up

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up Genevieve! I am now following your blog. YOU CAN DO THIS- WE can do this! I can relate to your weakness for McDonald's - I know it sounds terrible, but if I could eat with no consequences, I would eat McDonald's every day! My last A1C was 5.9, but before that it was 5.7. My doctor was really pleased with my weight loss previously, I really want to be back down at least 20 pounds the next time I see him for my Diabetes check up.

    I have some of the same goals- wanting to play with my little guy without getting winded! It's horrible to get so out of breath so fast.

    Keep on keeping on!!!

    ReplyDelete